REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: April 21, 2023
The City of Kettering’s CitySites Public Art Program invites artists to create a permanent outdoor artwork at Rosewood Arts Center. Created to complement or enhance the public spaces around Rosewood’s front entrance, the artwork may include new or modified hardscapes, plantings, sculptures and/or relevant design.
The artwork should create a welcoming environment and complement the surrounding site and facility. The artwork can operate as decorative or functional and create a significant visual component to the Rosewood environment.
Possibilities include, but are not limited to: artwork integrated into the hardscape, such as sidewalk art (graphics, artwork, poetry, mosaics, etc.); free standing sculptures or sculptural installations; artistically designed landscape and/or plantings, such as tree circles, art-centric materials (natural dye plants, etc.). Projects that incorporate environmental stewardship are encouraged.
The artwork should utilize materials that can withstand pedestrian and/or vehicular traffic and high speed Frisbee golf discs, and that can be easily cleaned and maintained. The artist will lead the design and fabrication of the artwork, with consultation from a design team consisting of staff from Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts.
Artists must demonstrate previous experience in creating public art, working with project teams, and creative and innovative thinking in using public space.
Artists must demonstrate previous experience in creating public art, working with project teams, and creative and innovative thinking in using public space. The artist must carry personal liability insurance for the duration of the project and be willing to meet all contractual obligations. Employees of the City of Kettering and members of the Art in Public Places Committee and the Kettering Arts Council are ineligible to apply.
Please note that there is no word or page limit to your Resume or Letter of Interest.
The following information will be required to apply to this commission:
1. Letter of Interest. Please include your name, address, phone number and email address. Also include a description of your interest in this commission and your experience working on comparable projects, including any community engagement processes.
2. Resume or CV. Submit a current résumé with include previous public art commissions, design team experience, exhibitions and/or awards.
3. Past Project Documentation. Please provide documentation of 3 past successful projects and/or artworks.
4. Artwork Proposal and Project Narrative. Include a conceptual sketch of the proposed artwork and a narrative that describes your process and vision as it relates to this project, including aesthetic ideas, methods for creating the artwork. Include information about how
the proposal relates to Rosewood and its surroundings, materials to be used, and any connection to environmental stewardship.
5. Budget. Outline a budget and include artist fee, materials and installation.
6. Professional References. Include three individuals with detailed knowledge of your working methods, including fulfilling deadlines, working within a budget, and engagement with diverse audiences. Please include the contact name, organization (if applicable), address, phone number and an e-mail for each reference.
Please send all materials, preferably as PDF attachments, to Shayna.email@example.com. The deadline for all application materials is April 21, 2023.